If a producer is interested in your idea, we will start negotiating a deal on your behalf. We negotiate all aspects of an offer including the amount, screen credit and the possibility of involvement in the project. We will send you the negotiated offer once finalized. This might range anywhere from $1,000 to $50,000 depending on the quality of the idea, the budget of the production company. For scripted ideas with attached screenplays, the offer may include the aquisition of the screenplay for an additional fee usually $50,000 to $700,000 depending on the quality of the script, the level of interest by the production company, and the production company budget. Any amount offered for the aquisition of the script will be separate from the option money.
If you receive an offer, you are not obligated to accept it if you feel that it is not satisfactory. This means that you are not obligated to sell your project if you feel that the offer is not right for you. Our executives will advise you prior to making your decision, helping you make an educated decision on selling your idea or script. We have experienced many cases where people start to believe that they can get more because we managed to secure a good amount for them. A majority of those cases ended up loosing the opportunity window and their idea remained unrealized. Being on your team, we do our best to make you as much money as possible and in many cases above market value. You should trust that you are getting a good deal instead of wondering if you could get more.
We will also do our best to secure other requirements that you might have. For our clients that are writers and have a screenplay ready for their idea, we will do everything in our power to get their screenplay bundled with the idea, but the bottom line is that it is not up to us, so we can not guarantee it. We manage to get the producers to use our clients’ screenplays about 60% of the successful pitches. For the remaining 40%, major studios are prepared to pay you for the idea and hire one of their own writers to develop the screenplay to their standards. The reasons are primarily because they don’t think that the script is up to standard or clients might not be willing to give away the rights for the script. No producer will choose to invest in a project to which they have not secured the rights. It is hard for studios to allow writers to have creative say on a project when they don’t have a pre-existing working relationship with them. Trust and recognition are gained gradually.
long with the offer, we will send you a contract that assigns the rights to the idea. To most people, this contract may seem harsh, especially if you feel that this idea is “your baby”. These contracts are bulletproof, and, yes, you will need to assign ALL rights for the use and modification of your idea without any further reimbursement while you waive your rights to sue them for any reason. In reality, these contracts are standard practice. Lets not forget that they are paying a hefty amount for nothing more than a log-line. Hollywood is a fast pace, high risk industry, and while they are willing to take the risk and pay in advance in order to turn your tow lines of text into a profitable movie, they are not even willing to listen to any ideas unless they are contractually protected against any legal action and nuisance lawsuits. One-way release forms are a fact of life in Hollywood.